Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Invisible



Deer at Bryce Canyon by Greg McGill


I recently drove on the New York State Thruway on a sun-drenched autumn afternoon and couldn’t help noticing an astounding number of dead deer lying in various uncomfortable looking positions along the highway. I was traveling at sixty-five miles per hour so I was catching a quick glimpse of contorted corpses, blood and body parts, scattered remains of these lovely creatures strewn across the shoulder of the highway. I kept thinking about how this horror contrasted with the beauty of the leaves changing, the rolling green hillsides and puffy white clouds in a sky the color of morning glories.

I also noticed one young deer against the guardrail in the median whose head was upright and resting gently against the metal, so peacefully, it looked like he was sleeping. Maybe he was dreaming of being reunited with his parents who I’d probably passed on the road before reaching him. 

When I drove home a few hours later, it was pitch dark and I didn’t see much of anything except headlights coming toward me, tail lights in front of me and the white lines guiding on either side of my vehicle. I think it was a moonless night, but when I passed a clearing off to my right, I saw three glowing deer standing on a hillside, just for a second. It was the strangest thing because I couldn’t figure out where the light was coming from. Certainly not my headlights, they were pointed in a different direction. But there they were, lit up like that old “Green Ghost” game I used to play when I was a kid.

The image stuck with me but I didn’t think too much of it until I was safely back home in bed, trying to fall asleep, unsuccessfully, as usual. I thought about the three glowing deer and the ones slaughtered on the highway and wondered if there was any connection. I knew I’d witnessed the secret world of the night deer standing in the field but I also started thinking that what I’d seen glowing might not be of this world at all. That perhaps the ghosts of the slaughtered deer were standing still watching us, trying to make sense of the rushing wheels, why we all needed to get somewhere so fast, while they stood caught in unearthly stillness between this world and another.

I believe in an afterlife, though I’m not a religious person. It’s because of the experiences I’ve had with people close to me dying. My friend, Angela, who died at age 39, was put on life support for a few days after a brain aneurism, and I swear I felt her presence everywhere, except in the hospital room where she lingered. I especially felt her when I was near the lake, but shortly after she was officially dead, her presence faded. I felt that after my mother died too, that she was around for awhile, a white butterfly fluttering through my backyard, but then moved on once she’d checked in on us enough to know we’d be okay.

I don’t know why the deer would stick around. Maybe they too were looking out for their loved ones. Yeah, deer. I think they have feelings. And they certainly have reason to be concerned. The highway is a dangerous place, especially if you’re a wild animal trying to get to the other side in this life or the next. But I also think that the deer, and other things too, are looking at us, noticing what we humans are up to, even if we’re not too keen on looking back. There’s a lot out there, though it sometimes goes by in a blur. There's so much more we could be getting in touch with, if we would just slow down enough to appreciate what's going on around us.




No comments:

Post a Comment